Beginner’s Guide on Starting a Damp Proofing Business in the United Kingdom
Damping of the construction material is a common problem that both residential and commercial buildings have. It is an even bigger problem in the northwest area where it rains a lot. Damping may make the building look bad and damage the material, which will lead to more expensive maintenance in the future. Thus, starting a damp proofing business will not only help keep your client’s buildings clean but also helps them save a lot of money.
What Is a Damp Proofing Business?
A damp proofing business applies various techniques to prevent water moisture from rising into and damaging the buildings of their clients. Furthermore, they offer other external and internal building cleaning services so that the buildings look clean from the outside and inside. Damp proofing business is mostly an extension offered by construction or a cleaning business, as it requires similar equipment and expertise.
Industry Practices for Damp Proofing Business
The main industry practice to analyse a damp proofing business is how they clean their client’s buildings. A company can employ the following practices:
Damp Proof Course (DPC)
A Damp Proof Course (DPC( helps prevent moisture by limiting the water rising from the ground to the building material. The DPC is applied below all the masonry walls.
Damp-Proof Membrane (DPM)
A damp-proof membrane (DPM) is a membrane that prevents moisture transmission in buildings. Many services combine the DPM with the DPC.
Integral Damp Proofing
Internal damp proofing can ensure that moisture-transferring the outside of the building doesn’t affect its internal structure. It mostly involves adding special materials while mixing concrete to make the concrete itself impermeable.
Surface Suppressant Coating
Surface Suppressant coating means coating the building with waterproof materials. It is mostly useful in rainy areas as the coating helps resist water. Similarly, extra coating of cement-like concrete can help against water under pressure.
Cavity Wall Construction
In most cases, the insides of the walls are affected as soon as the outside catches moisture. A cavity wall construction is a special technique that separates internal walls from the exteriors by adding special materials like rain screen between them.
Before making a building damp proof, you may need to provide services like mould cleaning and removal. After all, you can’t add damp-proof materials outside a dirty surface. You may need tools and cleanliness, and safety equipment to help your workers clean the mould and other dirt materials and pollutants that reside in the external face of the building.
Business Registration Process for Starting a Damp Proofing Business in the United Kingdom
You have to register your company before starting commercial activities in the United Kingdom. As you need to do a lot of research and go through various processes which are generally difficult for first-timers, it is better to hire United Kingdom company incorporation services.
Research Your Market
Researching involves studying the group of customers that may need your service the most. You may look for domestic customers or commercial ones. Commercial buildings are bigger and give more payments, but domestic buildings mostly have problems regarding mould and moisture. You can decide to serve both.
Decide on the Services You Want to Give
The services can range from damp proofing and waterproofing to remedial and preventive work. Based on the skills and expertise at your disposal, you can also add other jobs like plastering, carpentry, painting and decorating. Some businesses also add value services like insurance backed guarantees.
Hire Your Employees
Now, you can decide to become a contractor for other companies, so you need to hire your employees. However, most of the jobs related to construction are expensive, and you may need a big team. You may decide to become a subcontractor. Hiring freelancers like construction workers, cleaners, carpenters, etc., can be cost-effective for you.
Register Your Business
Registration involves choosing a business vehicle, settling on a business name, and incorporating tax certificates. It really can be a hassle if you don’t have prior experience. Here is a guide to company registration in the UK.
Licenses Needed for Starting a Damp Proofing Business in the United Kingdom
One of the most confusing parts of starting a damp proofing or a building cleaning service in the United Kingdom is the licencing. As the job generally requires you to clean high rise buildings and dispose of the waste, you may need to apply for quite a few licences based on your work nature.
It is a good idea to work with your corporate service provider if they have a lawyer who can understand your specific requirements and help you apply for the licences.
These are the licenses you may need:
- Street works supervisor (All UK)
- Controlled goods export licence (All UK)
- Scaffolding and hoarding licence (all UK)
- Control of major accident hazards notification (All UK)
- Notification to process personal data from Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if your company will process personal data of your clients.
- Certification of Surveyor of Timber and Dampness in Buildings (CSTDB).
- Manufacturer Approval of High-Quality Products.
- TrustMark Quality Assurance.
- Buy with Confidence.
- Public space surveillance (CCTV) licence to place CCTV cameras.
Furthermore, you may need to get additional licences depending on the location you want to operate.
England and Wales
- Become an approved building inspector if you want to inspect buildings in England and Wales.
- Environment Permit for Discharge of trade effluent if you want to discharge wastes into inland freshwaters, estuaries or coastal.
- Pollution Inventory reporting.
- Become a Street works supervisor.
- Environmental permits issued by th3e local authority
- Hazardous waste producer registration.
- Environmental permits and exemptions issued by the Environment Agency.
- Environmental permit for discharges to surface water or groundwater.
- Goods vehicle operator licence.
- Street works licence.
- Licence to place street works machinery (‘apparatus’) on a public road in England, Wales or Scotland.
- Pavement or street display license.A licence for putting advertising signs on the road or pavement.
- Controlled waste carrier, broker and dealer registration.
- Licence to work with asbestos.
- Skip Operator licence.
- PCB Holding Registration.
- Pollution prevention and control permit – Part A.
- Road Occupation Consent for pavement display.
- Road Occupation Consent for building materials.
- Road Opening Permit (Scotland).
- Goods vehicle operator licence.
- Street Works Licence.
- Waste Packaging Reprocessor Accreditation.
- Waste Management Licence.
- Licence to Work with asbestos.
- Skip Licence (Scotland).
- Authorisation to Mix Special Waste (Scotland).
- Pollution prevention and control permit Part A and B.
- Hazardous waste movement notice.
- International road freight operators licence.
- National road freight operators licence.
- Consent for discharges to waterways.
- Controlled waste carrier and broker registration.
- Waste management licence.
- Greenfield soil declaration.
- Make a Greenfield Soil Declaration.
A damp proofing business can be a great thing to do if you have prior experience in the fields of construction and building cleaning. However, the registration process can be a hassle owing to how many documents you need to produce and the licences you need to apply for. You can contact 3E Accounting if you want help starting a damp proofing business in the United Kingdom. We can help you with your registration process hassle-free; just give us your requirements, and we will register your company and get your licences in no time.